Monday, July 20, 2015

Be happy. You're a representative of Jesus Christ. (07-20-2015)

Greetings! 

We are working hard here in Green Valley! Sister Maughan is awesome and has such great faith. She just wants to be the perfect sister missionary, so it's been fun to watch her grow. 

We were out doing some street contacting this week and saw a bunch of teenage, neighborhood boys out shooting hoops in the street. As we walked up to them I said, "Hey! Can I take a shot?" They said sure and threw the ball to me. I took the ball, explained who we were, then walked clear across the street. It was a pretty wide street, so it was probably half court status. I said, "If I can make this shot, will you all come to church this week?" They all got big smiles on their faces and agreed. I knew I probably wouldn't make the shot, but I gave it my all, and I was right. I was way off! But it got everyone laughing and they were willing to talk to us for a bit. It was a pretty cool experience! 

We have started teaching this amazing man! His name is Jose, and he is so prepared to hear the gospel! When we met him at his door, he broke down crying and said he was going through a really rough time. We've been able to teach him about the Restoration and the Plan of Salvation so far, and we have another appointment tomorrow. He's just eating it up! As we talked about the fall of Adam and Eve, and read from 2 Ne 2 with him, he sat there repeating over and over to himself, "I've never thought of it like that!" Suddenly he stood up, looking around for a second, then went over the the hutch and opened the drawer. He said, "I've got to get a highlighter. This is good stuff!" My chest just wanted to burst! I wanted to just jump to my feet and exclaim, "Yes! Yes it is good stuff!" He's awesome. I can't wait to tell you more!

We met a young man this week who claims to be "Abnostic"... funny!

On my birthday one of the other sisters had to join us for the day, and as we met with them that morning they came out of the car with a cake and candles and singing happy birthday! It was so sweet! Then later in the day a random Lebanese lady gave us a bunch of frozen pizzas (5 each!) and donuts and chicken wings! It was amazing. 

So, funny story... We were at our ward mission leader's house and getting to know each other a bit, and I mentioned that I grew up in Minnesota. He asked where, and when I said Waseca his head popped up and he said, "No way! I've been to that branch!" I was like, "Whaaaat?!" Turns out, he is Craig Evers' brother! Crazy! Also, there's a younger guy in our ward from Rochester, and we know a lot of the same people since we're close to the same age! Awesome connections. 

Ok. Got to go. I love you all! Share the gospel! Be amazing! 

Love, Sister Porter

QUOTE: "What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?"

No comments:

Post a Comment