Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Hello, outside world! (04-08-2015)

Hello! 

I can't believe I've been here a week!!! It feels like an eternity, and at the same time, no time at all. This might be a little long, but you have your agency and you can read as much or as little as you like! Isn't that great?! :)

Someone told me once (as a joke) that the only difference between the MTC (missionary training center) and prison was that you get visitors in prison. Some of the missionaries here certainly feel that way, but I'm loving it! Being called "Sister Porter" feels so natural. It's a crazy busy time, and I've grown more spiritually in the last week than I have in my whole life! It's been hard, I won't lie. As we were driving up to the MTC to drop me off I told my friend, "I'm more freaked out right now than I've been in my whole life. Someone just needs to tell me I have cancer. I could handle that." Hahaha... But they really don't give you too much time to freak out. From the moment you say goodbye you are hustling and bustling here and there getting this, getting that, going to this orientation, and on and on and on. The craziness doesn't end! We have a strict schedule, and I have definitely been blessed to be able to wake up on time, and be ready with all of my assignments. They assign us so much work, it doesn't seem like anyone could ever get it all done! If there is anything driving me crazy it's all of the sitting! We sit in class for about 10-12 hours a day just studying, learning, planning, teaching, role playing, more studying, doing assignments, etc... Also, I've had a little bit of a hard time not being able to be alone. My companion is amazing and I love her to pieces, but I do love my solitude. So being with 7 others the entire day is a little overwhelming sometimes. But I'm adjusting and I've made some goals to help me. The Lord is most certainly behind us and helping us. There is no way I could do everything I do here normally (emotionally, physically, mentally), but I have been held up by angels. 

On our second day here I was called to be the Sister Training Leader for my district/zone, so that was definitely humbling. I have the responsibility of looking out for the other sisters in our zone and making sure we are all doing alright and being obedient. My companion is Sister Borup, and I could not ask for anyone better! She basically reminds me of a 5'2" itty-bitty, 19 year old me, except that she has a lot more energy! She keeps everyone laughing and on their toes, and helps me lighten up when I get a little to serious. I love her so much! We share a room with Sister Tuski and Sister Dittman. Sister Dittman is so, so sweet and just a quiet force for good in our district. She had the hardest time transitioning out of all of us. Most of these missionaries have never lived away from home, so it takes a lot of courage on their part. Sister Tuski... Oh what to say... She has righteous desires and good intentions... but I guess there is always one... :) The rest of our district is made up of Elder Clark and Elder Viollis-Lee, and Elder Palmer and Elder Turnbow, all great people! It's so awesome to see the growth in maturity and spirituality these young men have made in just one week. I love our district!

Okay, wasn't general conference just amazing?! Oh my goodness, I couldn't pick a favorite talk for the life of me. It was fantastic to sit in a room with hundreds of the Lord's missionaries feasting on the words of the prophets and apostles. I wish I had time to tell you what I took from each and every talk, but alas, this will have to do. Just one thought that I loved was from Elder Pearson's talk. He said, "AVERAGE IS THE ENEMY OF EXCELLENCE." I love that, and it's so true! Strive to be excellent! In everything you do! It will pay off. 

Today we have a new district joining our zone, so I will be able to meet them, give them a tour of the campus, and orient them a bit. I'm so excited! I'm excited to assure them that everything will be okay! I think of who I was a week ago and who I am today, and already I am not the same person. Crazy what can happen in so little time if we truly dedicate ourselves to something worthwhile. I have a testimony of this work. I've learned that the Lord doesn't need me. With or without me, this work will go on because it is true. However, I will be honored to be an instrument in His hands and let Him use me for His work. I have talents and abilities that He will use, and I will gladly let him. I know my purpose here, and it is solidifying my purpose in life. My purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. And even when I leave my mission, that will continue to be my purpose in my work life, my personal life, my family life, and everywhere I go. If one person can say that they felt the love of God because they met me, I will be happy. Read the Book of Mormon. If you don't have one, get one! If you need to know how to get one, tell me! It will change your life and bring you hope and peace you never thought you could feel! I love it so much. 

I have to go, but I love you all. Thank you for being in my life. Don't forget to pray always! He listens!

Love, Sister Porter

QUOTE FOR THE DAY! 
"I have been quoted as saying, 'Do the best you can.' But I want to emphasize that it will be the very best. We are too prone to be satisfied with mediocre performance. We are capable of doing so much better." -Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment