Monday, April 8, 2013

Intrinsically, utterly, fabulously, autonomous

I made some good progress this week! Glenita now has a face, ears, and arms! She is so cute! In order to do this I had to learn how to crochet in a circle, which was hard at first but then I got the hang of it and was whipping out ears and arms left and right. I can't put them on her until after I stuff her, and I can't do that until I'm ready to do the legs. I considered putting up a picture of her face, but I'd rather leave you in suspense :)

This week we discussed how different types of motivation can affect a person's well being and occupational performance. I think I can best relate my crocheting experience, and really any occupation I engage in, to the section of the article regarding the additive or un-additive concept of intrinsic and external rewards. This is kind of how I understood it best. So if I engage in an occupation which gives me 10 hypothetical points of intrinsic meaning, then all of the sudden am offered 5 points of extrinsic reward for doing it, my sense of satisfaction does not add up to 15 points. What happens is the intrinsic motivation goes down to 5 points, the extrinsic reward makes up the other 5 points, and I still only have 10 points of motivation and satisfaction in that occupation. With this understanding, one can understand the phenomenon of how increasing extrinsic motivation will decrease intrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation is not only limited to rewards, but also punishments, deadlines, threats, and surveillance. This is where I related the most to the article. In my crocheting, in the beginning it was harder to enjoy and find satisfaction when I had to crochet because I had to have something to report. My intrinsic motivation was decreased because the extrinsic factors were more demanding. This is not just the case with crochet. I've been this way my whole life. If my mom ever told me that I should go get some exercise, there was no way I was going to do it. It had to be my idea. If my dad told me to make my bed, I did it very grudgingly or avoided doing it at all. I was never too much of a trouble child with larger issues, but the little things bothered me. I want to do something because I want to do it and I find it intrinsically rewarding, not because it's expected by anyone else. I hate feeling pressured or controlled. 

Intrinsic motivation is very important to me and my occupational performance and success. With intrinsic, or autonomous, motivation, one is given a choice as to what occupations they engage in and their volitional components are increased and benefited. This has been a very large part of my endeavors and goals. I choose what I want to do and how to do it, and I do it because it has meaning to me personally. I feel I have found more intrinsic motivation and meaning in crochet as I have continued learning the skill, and the extrinsic reward is not so dominant anymore. I mean, of course I still want  a good grade, but I actually have begun to like doing it just for the satisfaction it brings. It's a refreshing and great feeling to engage in something just because it makes you feel good about yourself. Finding intrinsic meaning in our occupations can do that. Sounds a lot like what OT's do, doesn't it?

Yours Truly

Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2008). Facilitating optimal motivation and psychological well-being across life's domains. Canadian Psychology, 49, 14-23.


1 comment:

  1. Hannah,

    Will continue to crochet after this class ends? I know you state that you are becoming more intrinsically motivated by crocheting but do you think it is enough motivation to let it become a part of your life? Has it just become homework that you enjoy doing?

    ReplyDelete