Monday, March 4, 2013

The real question is, how much do I care?

Entity theory: You are who you are, you have what you have, and you can't really change any of it. You're born with certain qualities, and you're not going to get anywhere trying to obtain other ones.

Incremental theory: No matter who you are or what your circumstances may be, you have the power to change through the effort you put in.

Let me put this out there: If I had to pick a side... incremental theory all the way. You know... the whole "GO, FIGHT, WIN!" thing. And, "Never give up!" Oh, and don't forget, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Maybe society just thinks we look like a better, more optimistic people if we say stuff like that. But do we really believe it? I'm sure you're all thinking, "But, of course! How could you even consider the thought that we are stuck as we are and not able to improve?" Believe me, that was my thought when I read this article about self-theories too. But the more I think about it, I'm not sure I can pick a side. Because as I read about entity theorists, I found myself thinking, "But I do that sometimes...don't I think I can be better?" Yes. I do. 

So here's what I think. No one purely believes or lives one theory or another. In everything we do there is a mixture of both. However... there is also this thought. What if so called "entity theorists" do believe that they could get better if they tried, but they don't [care] enough to find out? Just a thought. Cause that's what I found myself thinking about me. When I take an exam and do poorly on it, I don't think I'm bad at that subject. Actually, I usually know for a fact that I could have prepared much better and tried harder, and I would have done better if I had. But when I get the exam back (this is a characteristic of an entity theorist) it's rare that I will go back through to study what I did wrong. But it's not because I'm merely accepting the possibility that I might just be bad at that subject and that I shouldn't waste my time on improving in that area. No. It's simply because I don't [care] enough! And a large part of me is sure that I'm in good company. Anyway... like I said... just a thought. 

Ok. So if I did have to pick things I do which I TEND (not purely attribute to, since I believe everything we do has parts of both theories) to apply to one theory or another, this is what they would be:

Entity theory: 

  • My running abilities (or lack thereof). I've tried, people. So many times I've decided, "I am going to be a good runner!" So I work at it, but to no avail. My body is just not made to run very far.
  • My affinity for children. So basically anything that involves kids, I'm your girl. It could be part of just being a woman and having that innate nurturing intuition, but this isn't the case for all women, so I don't really know. It's just something I'm good at and love.
  • My artistic talents. Music, decorating, organizing, color scheming... the right side of my brain just must have had a head start on development or something. Or I could attribute it to my perfectionism (not in everything... but this category, yes). 
Incremental theory:
  • Math. Oh, the struggles I've had with math. When I was younger, I definitely had an entity theorists point of view for this subject. I was convinced I was just NOT good at it at ALL.  I hated it with a passion. After getting through my associates degree but having ever only made it part way through Algebra 1, I decided I'd better educate myself a little more rather than take the chance of looking like a total idiot someday. So even though it wasn't required for my studies, I started taking math classes at BYUI. I was scared for my life, but for some reason (going back to my idea that it's how much you [care] about the subject), I wanted to be better and was determined to improve. Little by little I allowed myself to believe that I might actually be good at math. The more I believed that, the more I enjoyed it. The next semester I took another algebra class, and I honestly looked forward to it! I was good at math! Why did I never think so before? One day I was in the math lab finishing up some homework before class when a bunch of my other classmates came to complete the same assignment. I breezed through it and got up to leave. When the others saw that I was done they started asking me to help them understand the assignment. Before I knew it, even with a bunch of math tutors standing around, I was the one showing a group of five or six college students how to do math! Me! Me? ME! The math hater. I found myself thinking, "This is fun!" and then immediately afterwards, "What did you just think?!" I felt like I was betraying myself, but I was finally good at it! Why not enjoy it?! (Not saying I'm a math whiz now... I'm a bit rusty.)
  • Baking bread. I love to make bread, but it's not like it was a one day thing where "Bam! You're a bread maker!" My mom makes the most delicious bread, and I really wanted to make bread just like she did. But, I never [cared] enough to learn while I was living at home. So when I moved out I would call her, asking questions, and panicking about ruining the bread. Now I can make pretty darn good bread, but I'm still working on getting it to be as perfect as hers.
So how do these theories affect my occupations currently? The main occupations that stand out to me are school and work. In school, I know I'm not the best of the bunch. I've gotten used to that fact. But that doesn't mean that I stop trying to be better and beat my personal best. Apparently it was good enough to get me to where I am, and now I just have to make it even better so I can get to where I want to be. At work, I know that I'm a good, hard worker. I take pride in my work. But that doesn't mean I know everything about the bakery, where things go, or how things work. Just tonight I had to write a note asking where I could find more hot cocoa mix. I'm still learning, and how much I learn is going to be conditional on my effort.

In my new occupation, it's the same deal as the rest of it. To me, it's a mixture of the theories. I feel like I'm good with my hands and a fast learner. I also feel like if I don't put forth the effort to learn the different stitches or what kind of yarn is good for what, I won't get anywhere very fast. It's not like I was born knowing how to perform a "stitch through" stitch or the best way to hold the crochet hook. But I [care] and want to learn. That's the kicker.

Yours Truly

If you're interested and not afraid of a little religion, I wrote something the other day which I tie self-theories into and which you might like to read. This is it: I believe in trying harder

References
Dweck, C. S., & Molden, D. C. (2005). Self –theories: Their impact on competence motivation and acquisition. In A. J. Elliot, & C. S. Dweck (Eds.), Handbook of competence and motivation (pp. 122-140). New York, NY: Guilford Press.



2 comments:

  1. Hannah, do you think that some of the things you might have an entity theory would change if you approached the task differently?

    I think of running as the example and how maybe a different mindset or way to approach the activity might change one's involvement. I'm not saying you should make a push for running, but I think of other people who try to get into running when I read this, and it makes me think of the aphorism "work smarter, not harder" when I watch them go out and hate what they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colby, I'm sure there are some things which I would tend to lean towards entity theory on could change with a different point of view. I really think it's about how much you care about the activity. Like, I care about exercise and being healthy, and if running were the only form of exercise I'm sure I'd work harder at it. But I know I can go swim laps instead, and that works for me. It seems each time I decide to "really do it this time" and be a good runner, I do come to it with a good attitude and even succeed in convincing myself that I really like running. Then I get a ways into it, and when I see that I'm not really improving, it's like "Who am I kidding...I hate this!" So as far as running goes, no. Other things, yes :)

      Delete